Wireless windmeter designed to work with smartphones and tablets
Low cost / high performance
11 Item Items
Last item in stock!
Calypso's Ultrasonic Portable is particularly suitable for dinghies and light sailing, but can also be mounted on any type of units.
It is totally wireless: its power supply is provided by its integrated solar panel, with a battery having 30 days of autonomy in absence of brightness when fully charged. The data is sent via Bluetooth Low Energy: the announced operating distance of 50m has been verified and is largely sufficient to obtain good reception even inside the cabin. In addition, in the event of a disconnection, the product automatically reconnects within seconds.
New for 2018: an Ultrasonic Wired version is also available. Without a solar panel, this version is powered in 5-24V DC and can be connected to the masthead if a power supply is present. In addition to Bluetooth, this version can also send NMEA data over its wires.
This wind vane anemometer is designed to work live with a smartphone or tablet, on which a compatible application has been loaded.
The manufacturer's Anemotracker application (available on iOS or Android) allows to establish the Bluetooth connection and make the main settings (real/wind apparent wind, information refresh rate, wind value logs, data damping, heading offset settings if necessary). The apparent wind display is done on a rosette or in tridata mode (heading, apparent/true wind degrees, apparent/true wind speed).
Other iOS and Android applications can be used and the list should grow quickly, including:
- Weather4D Routing & Navigation (iOS)
- SailGrib WR (Android)
- access to all weather vane parameters
- numerous adjustment possibilities (course correction, damping adjustment, speed calibration, internal compass activation etc)
- chart display and instrument vision, and Apple Watch support
- possibility to send wind data back in the NMEA network and to the pilot (see below)
This product is very easy to install: it has a female thread (diameter 16 mm) at its base allowing it to be installed on a suitable thread or on its specific pole. The pole is to be fixed on a typical Glomex standard 1"1/4 antenna base(not supplied) that you will choose at your shipchandler according to your configuration.
An alignment mark is to be aligned with the bow of the boat (no worry however, an offset in the application can correct any angle offset). In its solar version, there is no cable to run in the mast, reducing noise and weight in the tops. It is also the ideal instrument for transportable and all boats with removable masts.
The Ultrasonic Portable is monobloc, with no moving parts, connectors or cables. It is completely waterproof (IPX8) even at immersion (tested 30min/10m by the manufacturer, who nevertheless does not guarantee prolonged use at this depth). It is therefore a windvane / anemometer usable on dinghies. Usually the latter do not have electronics on board for fear of capsizing and by the absence of power supply on board.
Thus with an iPhone or a tablet well protected in a waterproof case, it is now possible to access marine navigation maps + wind / speed also in light sailing!
Despite its small size (135g, 70mm diameter), this windvane incorporates many sensors that allow it to achieve remarkable performance.
- 4 ultrasonic sensors for wind measurement, with cooling at 1, 4 or 8Hz
- 1 built-in compass
- 1 gyroscope and 1 accelerometer to measure the boat's axial displacements
- 1 thermometer
- 1 solar panel for charging (Portable Ultrasonic version only)
As seen above, this product is intended for use primarily with Apple or Android mobile devices. Its Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity (tested by us on iPhone 6, 7 and iPad Air or Pro) poses no problem and the device reconnects automatically in case of link failure.
In its Portable Ultrasonic solar version, it is possible to send the information back to the NMEA network on board using the Weather 4D 2.0 app, provided you have a Wifi multiplexer. This allows this data to be displayed on several iPhone/iPad, on the on-board displays and even sent to the autopilot!
In its Ultrasonic Wired version, it is possible to directly connect the wind vane anemometer wires to a plotter or a multiplexer to broadcast the NMEA sentences.
Finally it is possible to make firmware updates through the Bluetooth link, which guarantees to be able to benefit from future improvements of the manufacturer.
- dimensions: diameter 70mm, height 57mm
- weight: 135g
- IPX8 sealing
- refresh rate: 1, 4, or 8Hz
- recharge by integrated solar panel 35 x 23mm (solar version), or 5-24V continuous power supply - 1.5m cable (wired version)
- autonomy solar version without luminosity: 30 days at 1Hz, 3 days at 8Hz, up to 1 year in standby (solar version only)
- wireless data transmission via Bluetooth 4.0 - distance 50m (all models)
- sending wired NMEA data (wired version only)
- wind speed: 0 - 40m/s (78 kt) - accuracy 0.1m/s (0.2 kt)
- wind angle: 0.1° accuracy
Merci pour votre message. Pas de souci de portée, celle-ci est de 50m et vous aurez donc une bonne réception même à l'intérieur du bateau. L'équivalent de Weather4D en Android est probablement Sailgrib WR (voir notre guide des applications)